One of my summer break to-dos was to try out new recipes, which included desserts more unusual than the typical cupcake or cookie choices. So when I saw a recipe for baked apple frittata cups in the 24 Hours newspaper, I knew I had to try it! Even though I found the recipe in mid-February, it took me all the way until May to finally do it!
So anyways, here is how I did it (recipe copied from 24 Hours):
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) butter (to grease muffin pan)
- 24 small wonton wrappers
- 4 eggs
- a pinch of salt
- 1 medium apple, cored & diced (Empire, Gala, Ida Red, Crispin, or Cortland)
- 2 tsp. (10ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125ml) wholegrain granola blend
- 1/4 cup (50ml) walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup of raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar (recommended by me)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease muffin pan with butter. Insert two wonton wrappers into each muffin cup and overlap them to form a flower-shaped cup.
- Bake these flower cups for 3-4 minutes until their edges are lightly golden, then remove from the oven and cool in pan.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and then add in the brown sugar and the pinch of salt. Then in a larger bowl, mix the cinnamon and diced apple together. Then put in 1 tbsp. of the apple mixture into each cup. Then top it with 2 tsp. of the egg mixture. Top this with 2 tsp. of granola, followed by 1 tsp. of walnuts. Then I recommend that you put on one more tsp. of egg mixture over the cup to glaze over the top.
- Return pan to over and bake for 10 minutes or until the top is firm to the touch. Cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan.
- I also chose to top my frittata cups off with sliced strawberries and bananas. Be creative!
I had lots of fun making these treats, hope you can maybe find the time to make them yourself!